Your Company Registration Number (CRN) is unique to your limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP). You can find it on your certificate of incorporation and any official documentation received from Companies House. Your CRN is also displayed on the public register of companies, which can be accessed online via Companies House WebCHeck.
A Company Registration Number is a combination of 8 alpha-numeric digits. It is used to identity your company and verify its incorporation with Companies House, and is automatically issued upon company formation. You cannot choose or change your CRN; however, there are a few variations in CRNs:
Companies in England and Wales
CRN will begin with ‘0’ (zero), followed by 7 additional numbers
Companies in Scotland
CRN will begin with the letters ‘SC’, followed by 6 numbers
Companies in Northern Ireland
CRN will begin with the letters ‘NI’, followed by 6 numbers
LLPs in England and Wales
CRN will begin with the letters ‘OC’, followed by 6 numbers
LLPs in Scotland
CRN will begin with the letters ‘SO’, followed by 6 numbers
LLPs in Northern Ireland
CRN will being with the letters ‘NC’, followed by 6 numbers
You should not confuse your Company Registration Number with your company’s Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). They are entirely separate and serve different purposes.
When will I use my CRN?
Limited companies and LLPs are legally required to display their CRN on all forms of official business stationery. This includes letterheads, emails, faxes, compliment slips, invoices, receipts, order forms, websites, brochures, leaflets and any other form of promotional material. You will also need your CRN in the following circumstances:
- Sending annual confirmation statements and annual accounts to Companies House
- Registering your company for corporation tax
- Paying corporation tax and Filing Company Tax Returns
- Registering your company or LLP for VAT
- Paying VAT and submitting VAT Returns to HMRC
- Registering your company or LLP for PAYE
- Submitting PAYE reports
- Changing the name of your company or LLP
- Changing your registered office address
- Using a SAIL address or changing an existing SAIL address
- Moving the location of statutory records
- Appointing and removing directors
- Appointing and removing company secretaries
- Appointing and removing LLP members
- Changing your accounting reference date (ARD)
- Filing copies of resolutions
- Selling shares
- Issuing dividend vouchers to shareholders
- Dissolving your company or LLP
- Changing the trading status of your company from active to dormant
Manage your company details online with Quality Company Formations
In addition to our online company formation and address services, Quality Company Formations provides a software filing service that allows you to access and manage your company online. By creating a free account and importing your company information, you can carry out a variety of essential tasks, including: viewing your CRN and other statutory details online, delivering confirmation statements electronically to Companies House, and appointing and removing officers and LLP members.
Click here to find out more by speaking to one of our specialist advisors.