Getting a replacement certificate of incorporation for a limited company


When you register a company through a company formation agent or directly with Companies House, a certificate of incorporation will be sent to you online or by post (depending on the method of registration used). This is an important document that you will require at various points throughout the life of your company.

We are contacted on a regular basis by many concerned company owners who have misplaced their certificate of incorporation, so you’re by no means alone if you find yourself in this situation! Getting a replacement certificate of incorporation for a limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) is very easy and, in most cases, completely free of charge. Here are your options…

Download copy of digital certificate of incorporation

Whichever way you set up your company, you can access and download a digital copy of your certificate of incorporation online via Companies House. This is usually the easiest option for most companies.

You can use the Beta service or WebCHeck. The beta service is free of charge. To order a certificate or any other company document through WebCHeck, you will be charged £1 per document.

To use the Beta service, you should:

  • Enter your company name in the search box.
  • Select your company from the list that appears below the search box.
  • Select ‘Filing history’.
  • Scroll down the bottom and select ‘View PDF’ next to Incorporation.
  • A scanned copy of your incorporation documents will appear on screen. You can then save or print a copy.

To use the WebCHeck service, you should:

  • Enter your company name in the yellow section and click ‘search’.
  • Your company name should be highlighted in yellow on the list.
  • Click on your company registration number to the left of your company name.
  • Select ‘Order information on this company’ on the right-hand side of the screen.
  • Scroll down and check the box next to ‘Certificate of Incorporation’.
  • Add to order and select ‘proceed to checkout’.
  • Enter your login details or register an account.
  • Proceed to checkout and pay for your order.
  • A digital copy of the certificate will be sent to your email address.

Replacement hard copy certificate from Companies House

If you used Companies House’ postal incorporation service and you would prefer to order a replacement hard copy of your original certificate, you must contact Companies House by phone or email. You will be asked to provide your company name and company registration number (CRN).

Quality Formations customers

If you set up a company online through Quality Formations, you can sign in to your client account on our website to view and download digital copies of your incorporation documents. This includes your certificate of incorporation, share certificates, and the memorandum and articles of association. This service is free of charge and available 24/7.

About the certificate of incorporation

A certificate of incorporation is issued by Companies House to certify that a limited company or LLP has been lawfully registered in the UK in accordance with the Companies Act 2006 or the LLP Act 2000. The following information will be included on your certificate:

  • Company registration number.
  • Full name of limited company or LLP.
  • Act under which the company or LLP is incorporated.
  • Company type (private company limited by shares, private company limited by guarantee, or Limited Liability Partnership).
  • Location of registered office (England and Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland).
  • Incorporation date.
  • Issuing Registrar (Companies House Cardiff, Edinburgh, or Belfast).

You will most likely be required to provide a copy of this certificate on a number of occasions, including:

  • Opening a business bank account.
  • Applying for a loan, grant, funding other type of business support.
  • Requesting customer credit from suppliers and service providers.
  • Buying or renting property in your company name.
  • Operating overseas or setting up an overseas branch.
  • Upon the inspection of statutory records.
  • Selling shares to new investors.
  • Selling the company.

It’s also good to have the certificate to hand because it contains important information that you will need when registering the business for tax, preparing accounts and confirmation statements, filing tax returns, and reporting changes to Companies House and HMRC.

About the author

James Howell

James Howell, Financial Controller of 1st Formations, is the driving force for the company’s financial department and is focussed on the success of the business. Throughout the growth of the business and harking back to his many years of previous experience in accountancy practice, dealing with all types of SMEs, he has developed a keen interest in all aspects of company formation and company secretarial work. In his spare time, James is a father to 2 young children but keeps up strong interests in both music and sport.

Read more

What is GDPR and how will it affect my company?

Big data has completely revolutionised the way companies do business. Thanks to rapid IT developments, companies now have unprecedented access to information about their clients, customers, marketing leads and everything in between. It’s fantastic for business owners attempting to improve their services and strengthen sales – which is why a staggering 85% of companies are trying to become more...

What is a registered office and why do I need one?

The requirement to provide a registered office during the company formation process causes quite a bit of confusion! What is it? Why do I need one? Where can it be? Can I use my home address? If you wish to register a limited company or Limited Liability Partnership (LLP), you must supply a registered office address during the company formation process. This is a legal requirement as per Part 6...

Memorandum and Articles of Association for UK limited companies

The memorandum and articles of association are two essential documents required to set up a limited company in the UK. They are both a matter of public record. The memorandum of association is a single-page document that record the names of the founding shareholders or guarantors and their formal agreement to become members of the company. If you are setting up a limited by shares company, the...

Contacting HMRC when you set up a new limited company

When you register a new limited company or Limited Liability Partnership in the UK, Companies House will tell HMRC that it has been incorporated. Soon afterward, you should receive a letter from HMRC at your registered office address. This letter will contain form CT41(G) ‘Corporation Tax – Information for New Companies’. It will include your company’s 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference...

1 comment

By James Howell