Obtaining a replacement certificate of incorporation for your limited company or limited liability partnership (LLP) is very easy. In most cases, it is completely free of charge. Below, we outline the options available to you if you lose this important company formation document.
Download a copy of the digital certificate of incorporation
Whichever way you set up your company, you can access and download a digital file copy of your certificate of incorporation online via Companies House Service. This is usually the easiest option for most companies.
To access your company’s registered details and filings on Companies House Service, you should:
- Enter your company name in the search box
- Select your company from the list that appears below the search box
- Select ‘Filing history’
- Scroll down the bottom and select ‘View PDF’ next to ‘Incorporation’
- A scanned copy of your incorporation documents will be displayed, which you can then save or print
Order a certified hard copy certificate from Companies House
Companies House can issue a certified hard copy of your certificate of incorporation for just £15.00 (or £50.00 for the same-day service).
To order this, simply phone the Companies House contact centre on +44 (0)303 1234 500 and provide the company name and company registration number (CRN) you want the certificate for. Payment can be made using credit or debit cards.
Quality Company Formations customers
If you set up a company online through Quality Company Formations, you can sign in to your Online Company Manager on our website to view and download digital copies of your incorporation documents. Once you have logged in, follow these simple steps:
- On the Customer Dashboard, click ‘My Companies’
- Select ‘View’ on the company name
- Go to the ‘Documents’ tab
- Next to ‘Certificate of Incorporation’ click ‘Download’ to download the PDF copy
This service is free of charge and available 24/7.
Customers also have the option to purchase a hard copy of the certificate for just £10.00 + VAT. Whilst logged in to your Online Company Manager, select the company from ‘My Companies’ then click the ‘Shop’ tab. You will find the ‘Printed Certificate of Incorporation’ option to buy there.
About the certificate of incorporation
A certificate of incorporation is issued by Companies House to certify that a limited company or LLP has been lawfully registered in the UK in accordance with the Companies Act 2006 of the LLP Act 2000. The following information will be included on your certificate:
- Company registration number
- Full name of limited company or LLP
- Act under which the company or LLP is incorporated
- Company type (private company limited by shares, private company limited by guarantee, or limited liability partnership)
- Location of registered office (England and Wales, Scotland, or Northern Ireland)
- Date of incorporation
- Issuing Registrar (Companies House Cardiff, Edinburgh, or Belfast)
You will most likely be required to provide a copy of your certificate of incorporation on a number of occasions, including:
- Opening a business bank account
- Applying for a loan, grant, funding, or another type of business support
- Requesting customer credit or trade accounts with suppliers and service providers
- Buying or renting a property in your company name
- Operating overseas or setting up an overseas branch
- Upon the inspection of statutory records
- Selling shares to new investors
- Selling the company
Generally, it’s a good idea to keep your certificate of incorporation to hand because it contains important information that you will need to provide when registering the company for tax, preparing annual accounts and Confirmation Statements, filing tax returns, and reporting changes to Companies House and HMRC.